10 Easy Home Weatherization Tips
If you look at the picture above, you can see how air can leak in and out of your home. Have you every walked by a door, a window, or the fireplace and felt a draft? Well of course you have! Every time you feel that draft you’re losing money. Your heat or your AC is escaping through the cracks in your home. There are several things you can do to limit the amount of energy you lose. Here are a few easy tips that will make a huge impact on lowering your energy costs.
1. Get your Heat Pump (electric) or Furnace (Gas) service by a licensed HVAC contractor annually.
2. Install weather strips all around the exterior doors to eliminate drafts.
3. Switch your ceiling fans to counterclockwise (reverse) to circulate the heat.
4. Purchase a window insulation kit and install plastic on your windows.
5. Use caulking and weather-stripping to seal the gaps around windows.
6. Make sure your attic floor and basement/crawl space ceiling have adequate insulation.
7. Insulate your water pipes to keep them from freezing and wrap your water heater with insulation.
8. Have your licensed contractor to check your duct system and seal any holes.
9. Install a programmable thermostat and set it at lower temps when you’re not home.
10. Turn your water heater from the average 140 degrees down to 120 degrees to save energy.
Ladies, I’d rather spend my money buying more shoes than giving it to the utility companies. Every little bit of money saved is worth it!